This summer, I worked on a research project entitled advances in risk prediction. This research was done to examine if domestic violence victims are capable of predicting recidivism risk of a known offender. This study was based off cases at the Fond du Lac County District Attorney’s office.
This project is important because it takes a look at other ways the criminal justice system can use to predict risk of offenders other than using surveys and risk assessments.
Dr. Richard Lemke was my research mentor. He provided me with excellent guidance. He also worked with me on this project to ensure that all information being used was accurate.
I learned that research is very hard work. Research takes time and cannot be rushed. I also learned that in order to conduct good research you have to put forth a lot of time and dedication. Conducting a full scale research project without guidance is almost impossible.
My mentor was great he meet all my expectations. Also being able to work in the DA’s Office was one of the best experiences of my life that I will never forget.This research was very challenging for me because I did not have a lot of time. I was very crunched for time, the exciting part about doing this research was that I got to meet many Lawyers, Judges, and other local authorities. Throughout this project, they gave me guidance, just as my mentor did. Working in this environment made me feel as if I was a real employee. They treated me with respect and they trusted me to handle situations as if I was already a Lawyer of Judge.
I feel that my research went well; despite the small obstacles I had to overcome. I hope to continue to perfect my research project, and even have the opportunity to publish it.
Da’Monique Johnson, of Milwaukee, Wis., is a senior majoring in Criminal Justice at Marian University. She is in her second year as a participant in the McNair Scholars Program.
- Violence risk instruments overpredicting danger (forensicpsychologist.blogspot.com)
- Art Therapy and Its Role in PTSD Treatment for Combat Veterans (mcnairmarian.wordpress.com)
- Immigration and Its Impacts on Businesses: Focus Point of McNair Research Project (mcnairmarian.wordpress.com)
- A Transformative Undergraduate Research Experience (mcnairmarian.wordpress.com)
- Collecting, Analyzing, and Integrating Quantitative and Qualitative Research and Methods for a Research Project (theacademicportal.wordpress.com)